Pappardelle with Spicy Sausage, Green Beans, and Mushrooms (adapted from Savory Simple)
This is a deliciously simple weeknight meal and it only takes less than half an hour. This is truly “quick and easy” in my book! The mushrooms have a nice smoky flavor that contrasts nicely with the spiciness of the sausage. I added the green beans–we all could use more fiber anyway–and their bright green color was a lovely contrast with the golden noodles.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 -8.8 ounces pappardelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 links hot Italian sausage, casing removed (can use sweet Italian sausage)
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (can use shiitake)
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and sliced into 2 inch lengths
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- juice of 1 lime (lemon in the original recipe)
- 6 ounces homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- salt to taste
- fresh grated Parmesan for garnish, optional
- Cook pappardelle according to the instructions on the box.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat up the oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When the pasta has cooked, reserve a cup of the cooking water. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Remove the sausage casings and discard. Crumble the sausage stuffing into the hot oil. Reduce heat to medium and brown the sausage.
- If the sausage sticks to the pan, add a tablespoon of water and scrape up the brown bits called fond, tossing them with the sausage. Fond adds flavor.
- Once the sausage is cooked and (mostly) browned, add the sliced mushrooms and chopped green beans. Sauté for two minutes, then lower the heat and add the garlic.
- After the garlic has cooked, about 60 seconds, sprinkle sausage mixture with the red pepper flakes and squeeze on half the lime or lemon juice. Remove the sausage mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet to deglaze it, scraping up any fond from the bottom of the pan. Allow the stock to reduce slightly, a minute or two.
- Stir in the cream, if using. Add a 1/4 cup of reserved cooking water to the pasta. Toss to separate the noodles. Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed.
- Return the sausage and mushroom to the pot with the pappardelle. Toss. Taste, and add salt if needed.
- Garnish with crushed red pepper flakes and Parmesan, if desired.
- Turkey Sausage, Mushroom, and Potato Gratin (twohungrysisters.com)
- Orzo with Spicy Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms (lattesandleggings.com)